Math and science is typically emphasized more than technology and engineering in applications of STEM in secondary education environments. Festo understands the importance of technology and engineering and that STEM education must implement an interdisciplinary approach while also cultivating 21st century skills, such as problem-solving, collaboration, initiative, entrepreneurialism, adaptability, and communication.
The goal of Festo’s Integrative STEM curriculum for secondary education is to aid in achieving STEM literacy for all students by providing a turn-key solution that emphasizes innovation, problem-solving, critical thinking, and creativity using hands-on training systems, enabling students to complete projects using the engineering design process while integrating the concepts related to STEM disciplines in a “learning-by-doing” environment.
STEM literacy is achieved when a student is able to identify and apply concepts and content from science, technology, engineering, and mathematics to understand and solve challenges or problems that cannot be resolved by any one disciplinary approach.
Highlights of the Festo Didactic STEM Curriculum:
- A range of pedagogical methods organized to create an essential teaching instrument: Backward Design, Subject-Based and Problem-Based Learning, Collaborative-Based Learning, and Entrepreneurially-Minded Learning
- SCORM compliant
- Projects are linked to learning objectives and corresponding Standards for Technological Literacy (STL) and Next Generation Science Standards (NGSS)
- STEM disciplines are integrated into the resources and identified with the use of icons
- Navigation icons guide students along the Project Challenge learning path
- Instructor Guide specific to each course provides installation and classroom preparation recommendations, assessment answer keys, project solutions, and a rubric for evaluating project-based activities
STEM Course Structure Sample
Provide students the opportunity to optimize solutions for real-world problems with the Festo Didactic STEM solution for secondary education. Learn more about the course structure for this curriculum.