In the STEM CNC Lathe course, students discover how the four disciplines connect as they design and produce prototypes. Once they are familiar with how the CAD/CAM software interacts with the CNC lathe, they’ll have the opportunity to design innovative solutions to real-world problems, challenges, and needs.
- Density, volume, force, and pressure
- Windows-based GUI
- 2D and 3D software applications
- CNC lathe machine
- Digital caliper
- G & M Code
- Design and development of parts and products
- Design evaluation and design changes to improve products
- Application of orthographic projection concepts to 2D standard views and isometric views
- Engineering design process
- Units of measurement
- Subtracting material
- X-Y-Z coordinate systems
- Angular measurements
STEM CNC LATHE
The purpose of the STEM Computer Numerical Control (CNC) Lathe course is to provide learners the opportunity to design, create, and evaluate prototypes: all very important steps in the manufacturing process.
Learners will be challenged to design and prototype products by taking on the role of a CNC designer/programmer. Learners must adhere to the specifications and constraints given, as well as explore and practice the CAD/CAM software, and the interactions with a CNC machine, to be the designers of new products.
Upon completion of the STEM CNC Lathe course, students will be able to:
- Recognize the function and features of a CNC lathe machine.
- Identify CNC lathe cutting tools and tool posts.
- Design digital models using a stand-alone CAD/CAM system
- Generate PART programs
- Select the correct cutting tool based on design specifications
- Position the cutting tool on a CNC lathe
- Execute programs on the CNC lathe using CNC lathe software
- Operate a CNC lathe machine using various workpieces
- Identify basic motion types in a CNC machine
- Develop CNC programs in G & M code
- Demonstrate quality control checks using a digital caliper
- Apply the engineering design process
EQUIPMENT AND SUPPLIES
- Multimedia presentation
- MindSight installation and user guide
- CNC Lathe software
- 5300 CNC Lathe (plus accessories)
- Venier caliper
- Machinist scale
- Rubber mat
- Workpieces: Delrin 0.75” x 3.0” white
- Workpieces: Delrin 0.75” x 3.0” black
- Safety glasses
Talk to our team about this curriculum.